In order to provide a welcoming, safe, respectful, and inclusive environment, Bit By Bit mandates adherence to the follow Code of Conduct to ensure the well-being of each camper throughout his/her entire camp experience.
Expectations of Campers
Zero Tolerance for Bullying
- Every camper has the right to feel safe and welcome at Bit By Bit. To ensure this, there will be zero tolerance for any physical, verbal, or emotional abuse and/or bullying toward other campers or staff.
- Examples of actions that will not be tolerated include any form of intimidation, putdowns, or situations that create unreasonable and undue discomfort for another camper or staff member.
- To help achieve a safe camp experience, all campers are required to adhere to a "hands-off" policy throughout their stay at camp.
- Examples of actions that will not be tolerated include pushing, shoving, hitting, and any unwanted or unconsented touching of another camper or staff member.
Creating an Inclusive and Amicable Environment
- Campers are expected to be polite to one another, to take turns, and are encouraged to make new friends with their fellow campers.
- Campers must show respect for themselves, along with fellow campers, camp staff, and community members.
- Campers must treat others fairly, regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
- Campers must use respectful language. No swearing, racially offensive, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate language will be tolerated.
Remaining Safe and Taking Responsibility
- Campers must obey camp staff and follow camp rules and directions of camp staff.
- Campers are encouraged to help camp staff as well as their fellow campers.
- Campers must take responsibility and be aware of their actions and words at all times.
- Campers must remain with their camp group and counsellors when in Western's public and community facilities.
- Campers should talk to a counsellor if they feel unsafe in any way.
- Campers must take responsibility of their belongings.
- Campers must not trespass, steal, vandalize, or cause damage of any kind to camp facilities and equipment.
Campers must abide to swim test rules as dictated by Sport Western. In
order to participate in camp swims, all campers will be required
to pass a swim test on the first designated swim day.
- They will swim the width of the shallow end of the pool (20m) on their belly, preferably with their face in the water for the entire time — but must demonstrate comfort with their face in the water at least once — and without complete exhaustion.
- Counsellors are present in the water to supervise and assist, if necessary.
- Any camper who does not pass the test will be required to wear a lifejacket, regardless of whether he/she has passed any swimming levels. Whether a child passes a swim test is at the sole discretion of the trained lifeguard on duty.
- The Bit By Bit Staff have no control over the swim test. Any issues with the swim tests should be addressed to the recreation centre, not the Bit By Bit Staff.
- When the camper is dropped off on their first day, please confirm life jacket requirements with his/her counsellor. If you would prefer that your child wear a life jacket at all times, please indicate this when completing your camper's profile online.
- For more information, please visit: https://www.uwo.ca/sportwestern/camps/information/swimming.html.
Expectations of Parents/Guardians
- Communicate regularly with camp staff any changes their child may be experiencing, such as medical, emotional, and/or physical changes.
- Ensure their child attends camp on time and is appropriately dressed for the weather and camp activities.
- Ensure campers are dropped off with all camp necessities, such as a water bottle, bathing suit, running shoes, lunch/lunch money, etc.
- Notify camp counselors of any known absences in advance.
- Communicate and discuss with their child the preceding Code of Conduct for Campers and encourage their child to follow camp rules.
- Act with courtesy, respect, and integrity while respecting the rights, welfare, and dignity of other parents, guardians, facilities, and Bit By Bit members.
- Act in a safe and responsible manner regarding themselves, campers, and others.
Suspension / Termination of a Camp Registration
- Should a violation of this Code of Conduct occur, Bit By Bit staff will determine consequences appropriate to the situation, which may include suspension or termination of a camper's time at Bit By Bit.
- Bit By Bit staff will discuss any offenses committed with a camper's parent(s) or guardian(s), along with any punitive measures taken. Any decision made by Bit By Bit will be final.
- If a camper is asked to leave camp for any period of time due to a violation of this Code of Conduct, there will be no refunds for any missed days.
- There will be no exceptions to this policy.
If any camper and/or parent is unable to follow the Code of Conduct and compromises our ability to provide a safe and inclusive environment to our campers and/or camp staff, disciplinary actions will be taken, as detailed above. Camp staff will discuss with parent(s) or guardian(s) the best solution to the problem. All decisions made by camp staff will be final.